9: How can I get transport arranged?

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Where children have special transport needs, officers of the Education Authority (EA) will assess the child’s needs by taking medical and other advice as required and make appropriate arrangements. Transport assistance will only be provided on the recommendation of a designated Medical officer as part of the statutory assessment process.

Is my child eligible for SEN transport?

A special transport need may arise where a child requires the use of a wheelchair, has a medical condition or severe learning difficulty which indicates that special transport arrangements are needed.

If your child has a statement of special educational needs and you feel they need transport assistance you should contact your Regional Special Education Section for further advice. Not all children with a Statement of Special Educational Needs will have transport needs.

The Transport Department of the EA are responsible for arranging the type of transport which has been allocated to your child for example EA bus, Taxi or bus operator. They will also be responsible for arranging pick up, drop off times and locations etc.

Click here for more information on transport eligibility

Problems with transport

If you have a problem with transport discuss the matter with the driver or operator first. If this fails to solve the problem, speak to your local Transport Officer.

If your concern is about the type of transport provided, for example, if you feel an escort should have been provided, contact the Special Education Section in your local EA office as any changes will have to be recommended by a designated Medical Officer.

The EA’s Transport Helpline will have details of how to contact your local transport office 028 9598 5959 Monday – Friday 9am – 5pm


Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Advice Line 028 9079 5779

For advice about your child’s education, please contact our Advice Line to speak to one of our advisers.

For current Advice Line hours, see our Contact page

Limited Company No. NI48698
Charity No. NIC101355

Contact us

Graham House,
Knockbracken Healthcare Park,
Saintfield Road, Belfast BT8 8BH.

Office Enquiries: 07950 949405
Office Email: info@senac.co.uk

Office email cannot be used for advice queries, for education advice please contact our Advice Line

Latest news

Follow us